Every day we are bombarded with bad news stories. Here are some outrageous stories from last year:
- Theantimedia.org reported that “[i]n Argentina earlier this year, a crowd of people at the beach pulled a baby dolphin from the water, taking pictures with it until it died”.
- The dailymail.co.uk reported that “[a] mother was outraged after people filmed the moment her three-year-old daughter lost consciousness after choking on a chicken nugget on their phones”.
- The nationalpost.com reported that “[n]ursing home workers across America are posting embarrassing and dehumanizing photos of elderly residents on social media networks such as Snapchat, violating their privacy, dignity and, sometimes, the law”.
- Theguardian.com reported that “[a]n extraordinary rise in the popularity of manuka honey has led to mass poisonings of bees, thefts, vandalism and beatings”. Bees are maliciously poisoned so that “beekeepers can market their honey as ‘manuka’ and sell it for triple the price of standard clover honey, even if the active manuka content is so low as to be negligible”.
- The metro.co.uk reported that “[a] mother encouraged her four-year-old daughter to eat sedatives because she felt she was an inconvenience to her relationship with her drug dealer boyfriend”.
- The bbc.com reported that “[a] mother has been found guilty of plotting to let a man rape her seven-year-old daughter”.
- The bbc.com reported that “Ukrainian prosecutors are questioning a 20-year-old mother after she allegedly left two toddlers in her flat for nine days, and one starved to death”.
New Year’s Day seems to fare no better.
- The bbc.com reported that a “Brazil gunman kills ex-wife, son and 10 others in Campinas”.
- The bbc.com reported that “[p]olice in Istanbul are hunting for a gunman who opened fire at a well-known nightclub, killing at least 39 people”.
- The bbc.com reported that “[a]t least 23 people have been killed and 17 more are missing after a ferry caught fire off the coast of Indonesia … Ferries are a key form of transport in Indonesia, which is made up of thousands of islands. But safety records are poor, with ferries often overcrowded and poorly maintained”.
As long as we are selfish and love only ourselves, we will continue to hear bad news stories.
As soon as selfish love is strong, the sense of justice recedes; then the human being will unscrupulously take for himself what belongs to his fellow human being. (The Word of God, Proclamation 3227b)
Satan is the instigator of evil. He encourages selfish love. As long as we allow ourselves to be influenced by Satan, we will not live in peace and harmony.
Thus unkindness is the soul’s eternal ruin, for a soul who still languishes in profound darkness is wretched. It has become a victim of the one who himself is devoid of love and also wants to prepare this state for souls who allow themselves to be influenced by him, who are full of selfish love and only ever treat their fellow human beings unkindly, because they are seduced by Satan, because he wants to transfer his own feelings to people in order to enslave them. Unkindness is the death of the soul; it poisons people’s thinking, so that the results of thinking are lies and ill will which generate acts of hatred and, in turn, will result in evil again. (The Word of God, Proclamation 5322)
Love is where God is. Unkindness is where Satan is. Love is the only weapon against Satan.
Love is the most effective weapon against the opponent who cannot endure it, who takes flight and therefore will rather drop his victims than allow himself to be touched by rays of love. For this reason you should fight against unkindness and know that it will lead into ruin, whereas deeds of love will open the kingdom of light for you, and with love you can also help those to attain the light who still languish in darkness as a result of their loveless and unkind way of life on Earth. Only love can help them and release their restraints; only love can make all of you blissfully happy. (The Word of God, Proclamation 5322)
On this New Year’s Day, let us make a vow to let love be our number one priority. When our hearts burn with love for God and for our neighbour, we will be blissfully happy.